(NAPSI)-Preparing meals that are budget and family friendly, healthy, fast and delicious is much easier when you start with a nutritious ingredient, such as rice, that can be used in a variety of recipes.
Rice absorbs the flavor of other ingredients and certain types of rice are easy to make and cook quickly. To save time, rice can be prepared in advance and later used in quick recipes like the ones below.
Take Minute Rice, for example. Minute Brown Rice was recently named one of the best packaged foods by Women's Health magazine because it takes only 10 minutes to cook yet it has the same nutritional value as long-cooking brown rice.
Brown and white rice are both complex carbohydrates that are trans fat-free, sodium-free and gluten-free, which makes rice healthy for the whole family. Additionally, brown rice is a 100 percent whole grain product, and research has shown that a diet rich in whole grains reduces the risk of heart disease, certain cancers and type 2 diabetes. Here are a variety of quick, easy, healthy and delicious tips the whole family will love:
• Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar over hot cooked rice. You can also add dried fruit, milk and nuts to make breakfast even better.
• Fold cooked white or brown rice into your favorite fruit yogurt. Add granola and fresh fruit. Top with honey.
• Enhance the nuttiness of brown rice by adding cashews, peanuts or sunflower seeds. Stir in dried cranberries, cherries or blueberries for a nutritious snack.
• For a delicious farmer's scramble, add scrambled eggs, cooked sausage, cheese and green onions to hot cooked rice. Salsa makes a great topping.
• For an easy Waldorf salad, add chopped apples, celery, raisins, pecans and vanilla yogurt to cooked and cooled brown rice.
• For an easy pilaf, add sautéed onions, mushrooms and green peppers to rice cooked with chicken broth. Top with toasted pine nuts.
• Make a quick raspberry rice pudding by mixing cooled rice, fresh raspberries, honey and vanilla yogurt. Top with lemon zest.
• For an easy apple cobbler, add sliced apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, chopped nuts and vanilla yogurt to hot cooked white or brown rice.
To reheat leftover rice, add two tablespoons of water for each cup of cooked rice and microwave on HIGH about 1 minute per cup or cover and heat in a pan about 5 minutes. Leftover cooked Minute Rice may be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator up to three days.
For more information, including nutritional tips, recipes and recipe videos, visit www.MinuteRice.com.
Fayette Front Page
Community News You Can Use
Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Tyrone
Georgia Front Page