Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thumbs Down on Green Giant Pasta, Broccoli & Alfredo Sauce

I always look for new things to try at the grocery store as I wander up and down the aisles. So, when I spotted what looked like an interesting and tasty change-of-pace in the frozen veggie section the other day, I grabbed it.

"Green Giant Pasta, Broccoli & Alfredo Sauce" sounds good doesn't it? It's one of those open the bag, toss in a dish and nuke dishes that is great as a filler or when you're in a rush.

It looks good on the package photo, too. Big chunks of broccoli florets atop sauce covered noodles. Yum.

I glanced at the calories knowing anything with "Alfredo" in it is usually high in calories and fat. Not so with this one, only 220 calories per serving and 4 grams of fat. Not low-cal, but reasonable.

Tried it last night for the first time... and the last.

First, I missed the sodium content when looking at the "Nutrition Facts" but caught the high content immediately with my first bite. I like salt and like it more than I should, so for me to taste the salt it had to be high.

Took a look at the bag and yep, there's a whopping 710 mg in one serving. Wow.

However, that wasn't the worst. I counted three (3) broccoli florets in the entire dish. The rest of the pieces were stems. I know, picky, picky, but I don't like the stems. I don't mind a few, and I can live with 50-50, but there were way too many for my tastes.

I did like the fact that unlike many similar dishes, this one had a lot of broccoli. Usually they're pasta heavy.

The taste? Mediocre --- maybe because it was so low in calories compared to other Alfredos, maybe because of the high sodium content, or maybe it's just the recipe in general.

My husband and I both curled our lips when we tasted our first bite. It's not horrible, it's just not "good".

I was a bit surprised, and disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We do not publish all comments, and we may not publish comments immediately.

We will NOT post any comments with LINKS, nor will we publish comments that are commercial in nature.

Constructive debate, even opposing views, are welcome, but personal attacks on other comments or individuals in the article are not, and will not be published.

We will not publish comments that we deem to be obscene, defamatory, or intended to incite violence.