(NAPSI)-Farmers' markets are sprouting up around the country as the idea of buying fruit and vegetables directly from the person who grew them grows in popularity. Strawberries are one delicious crop available at farmers' markets. To help make the most of this tasty fruit, Argo Corn Starch offers two mouthwatering recipes:
Easy Fruit Pizza
Prep Time: 30 minutes, Cook Time: 15 minutes, Chill Time:
50 minutes, Yield: 1 (12-inch) pizza
1 package (16½ ounces) prepared sugar cookie dough
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow cream
1 teaspoon Spice Islands® 100% Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract
Fruit and Glaze:
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon Argo Corn Starch
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Dash of salt
2-3 cups assorted cut-up fresh fruit
1. To Make Crust: Press cookie dough into ungreased 12-inch pizza pan. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 minutes until done, but still soft. Cool.
2. To Make Filling: Mix filling ingredients in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Spread over crust.
3. To Make Fruit and Glaze: Combine sugar and corn starch in a small saucepan until well mixed. Add orange juice, water, lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
4. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
5. Cool 20 minutes in the refrigerator. Slice fresh fruit and arrange on cream filling.
6. Drizzle with glaze and chill at least 30 minutes.
Glazed Fresh Strawberry Pie
Prep Time: 40 minutes, Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes, plus bake time of 8 minutes, Chill Time: 3 hours, Yield: 8 servings
1½ cups crushed shortbread cookies
⅓ cup butter, melted
¼ cup chopped almonds
2 pints (about 2 pounds) strawberries, hulled
⅓ cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Argo Corn Starch
½ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt
Whipped topping (optional)
1. To Make Cookie Crust: Mix all crust ingredients. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. To Make Filling: Mash (or puree) enough strawberries to equal 1 cup; add water. Combine sugar and corn starch in small saucepan. Stir in mashed strawberries.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil (15 to 20 minutes). Boil 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in almond extract and salt. Cool 10 minutes.
4. Fill cooled crust with remaining whole strawberries; pour cooked strawberry mixture over berries. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped topping, if desired.
5. A baked 9-inch pie crust may be substituted for the cookie crust.
For more recipes, visit www.argostarch.com.
Community News You Can Use
Follow on Twitter @GAFrontPage
Fayette Front Page
Georgia Front Page
Arts Across Georgia