Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Onion Pie

I enjoyed reading about Pascal's Bistro. I haven't been there in quite some time and had let it slip from my mind. I'm definitely going to have to visit soon as I love the pasta buffet! I was reminded of another restaurant I love while reading the Fayette Front Page. There is an ad for the Village Cafe. I ran over and picked up a couple of gift certificates for Christmas presents. Everyone loved them! I wish I'd had the foresight to save one for myself.

The following recipe was given to me by a gentleman I used to work with. He said it is, and I quote, "best when served with cold beer." I believe I would prefer a nice salad and possibly some homemade tomato or vegetable soup. To each their own!

Art's Onion Pie

1 frozen pie shell
2 lbs. onions, sliced
3 eggs, beaten
1 stick butter
1 cup sour cream
Tabasco sauce to taste
salt and pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese to taste

Saute the onion in butter. Combine eggs and sour cream. Add to onion (if you opt to cut back on the butter, this is the perfect time to do so!). Season with Tabasco, salt and pepper to taste. Pour in pie shell. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce heat and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Add grated cheese to top for the last 5 - 10 minutes to melt.

You may want to add some other items including cooked spinach or broccoli, sauteed mushrooms, cheddar cheese, celery, grated carrots, sausage, hamburger or other meats. The variations are many.

You may want to try cooking at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes rather than trying to change the temperature mid-stream. The important thing is to ensure that your eggs are cooked thoroughly.

- Cindy B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We do not publish all comments, and we may not publish comments immediately.

We will NOT post any comments with LINKS, nor will we publish comments that are commercial in nature.

Constructive debate, even opposing views, are welcome, but personal attacks on other comments or individuals in the article are not, and will not be published.

We will not publish comments that we deem to be obscene, defamatory, or intended to incite violence.