Thursday, September 2, 2010

A carrot recipe for those who don't like carrots...

I have to admit, I am not a carrot lover. I really, really dislike cooked carrots. I'll eat an occasional raw carrot, but only if there's some dip or I feel the need to be virtuous (or I've just been to the eye doctor ;-). However, I could sit and eat a full bowl of "Copper Carrots"...

Copper Carrots

2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 sm bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 can condensed tomato soup (I prefer Campbell's)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp prepared mustard
1 cup sugar
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Cook carrots until just tender (nuke 'em, boil them, whatever works for you, just make sure they're not too cooked). Drain. Cool. Place the carrots, onions, pepper in a layer in a deep bowl (sounds fancy, but I just dump them in the bowl - you can make them look pretty by layering them in a glass dish if you'd like). Combine the remaining ingredients in the blender (or use a hand mixer, I hate to clean blenders!). Pour it over the carrot mix. Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight... if you can wait that long! If you can manage to let them sit for 24 hours, they are at their best.

Over the years I've tasted a variety of different recipes for Copper Carrots. I think everyone who has ever made these adds their own touch. I usually leave out the salt and pepper as it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other, maybe because the soup is already salted. I cut back some on the oil also. I don't like a lot of bell pepper and my version of the moment sometimes leaves them out altogether. I have added yellow, red and green bell peppers, too. Nice color combination!

Let's see, what else have I added? Grape tomatoes once, red onions instead of yellow, broccoli (lightly cooked so it's not too crisp, absorbs the marinade), fresh green beans (blanched)... you can see that this is one of those adaptable recipes! My favorite onion in the concoction is Vidalia as they're nice and sweet.

Now that I'm not using sugar I'm thinking about trying it with Splenda or Truvia. We'll see how that experiment works!

Do you have a favorite version?

This is an old stand-by recipe and it used to show up often at family gatherings and church socials... I'm not sure if it's as popular these days. Who knows, maybe I'll revive the trend by posting it on here. - jmd
---
Community News You Can Use
Click to read MORE news:
www.GeorgiaFrontPage.com
Twitter: @gafrontpage & @TheGATable
www.ArtsAcrossGeorgia.com
Twitter: @artsacrossga, @softnblue, @RimbomboAAG
---
Also check out:
www.Hummingbird-Hollow.com
Twitter: @hhpotterystudio
http://valueswevalue.blogspot.com
Twiter: @valueswevalue
www.HorizonsLTD.com
Twitter: @gardenemporium
www.SoftCoolers.com
www.Chair-ity-Event.org
www.ClothesLessTraveled.org
Twitter: @cltthriftshop
---

1 comment:

  1. We used to call them Copper Pennies. I agree they are the best way to eat carrots, unless it is Carrot Cake! I love the idea of adding broccoli to the mix.

    ReplyDelete

We do not publish all comments, and we may not publish comments immediately.

We will NOT post any comments with LINKS, nor will we publish comments that are commercial in nature.

Constructive debate, even opposing views, are welcome, but personal attacks on other comments or individuals in the article are not, and will not be published.

We will not publish comments that we deem to be obscene, defamatory, or intended to incite violence.