Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cream Corn Soup (Confetti Soup)

Not sure about you, but as the weather cools I start craving warm, easy-to-make, hearty soups. This is a perfect fall recipe and one of my old favorites!

Cream Corn Soup / Confetti Soup

1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 small green pepper, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 medium potatoes, finely chopped
1 16 oz can of cream of corn
1 16 oz can corn
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP vegetable oil
3 TBSP flour
1 tsp parsely
3 cups milk

Boil the potatoes until partially done (nuke 'em if it's easier). Saute carrots, celery, onion, green pepper in the oil until the onion is light brown. Add the flour then cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.* Slowly stir in the milk Add both corns, salt, parsley, potatoes and milk. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Serve.

*I always use a bit of corn starch mixed with a small amount of milk, then slowly add it to the sauteed veggie mix rather than do what the recipe calls for with the flour. I then add the milk slowly stirring often to keep lumps from forming. If you add the flour, then cook for 2 minutes I'd think you'd get burned flour, but that's just me... 



As with most of the recipes I make I change things around adding different veggies, increasing those I like, leaving out those I don't (like green peppers ;-). Even though this one calls for cream corn, I often leave it out completely and just increase the corn. I don't add salt if I'm using canned corn as it usually has more than enough. I also rarely use canned corn as I don't like the taste. I use frozen corn.

I've also added red peppers, yellow peppers, broccoli, sliced cooked green beans (added at the end rather then the beginning 'cause they'll get mushy if cooked too long) and I always increase the amount of onion and carrots. I've used cream of broccoli soup instead of the cream of corn and it tastes good.

Another spice I like to toss in sometimes is basil. I've also added fish and it's great. Once I substituted macaroni for the potatoes and it worked fine. And, not to drag this on too long (OK, already there ;-) but I've increased the stock by adding a container of prepared vegetable stock. It's not as rich and you need to add more cornstarch, but it's still tasty.

I imagine you'll come up with all kinds of good variations. Let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We do not publish all comments, and we may not publish comments immediately.

We will NOT post any comments with LINKS, nor will we publish comments that are commercial in nature.

Constructive debate, even opposing views, are welcome, but personal attacks on other comments or individuals in the article are not, and will not be published.

We will not publish comments that we deem to be obscene, defamatory, or intended to incite violence.